As an employee pharmacist you know that a legal claim could be a big setback for your career. Underwritten by one of Australia’s biggest insurers, CGU, membership with Professional Pharmacists Australia includes Professional Indemnity Insurance that meets AHPRA requirements for employee pharmacists.
Even if the allegations are unfounded, defending yourself from a claim regarding your professional conduct can be expensive, time-consuming and damaging to your reputation.
While most employers will carry indemnity insurance for staff, this cover does not necessarily protect you from a negligence claim. An employer’s insurer may sue an employee for acting outside the scope of normal duties so as to recoup their financial loss.
Under our policy, which provides 24/7 support and no excess, PPA members are protected from the cost of a claim made against you.
Our safety net policy provides members with:
- $20 million cover for employee pharmacists.
We provide cover that is appropriate to the level of risk for the full scope of treatments and practices you are registered and qualified to perform as a professional employee pharmacist.
- Meets national registration requirements.
Our insurance meets the requirements for registered pharmacists under the national registration standards of the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Authority (AHPRA). Everything in the scope of pharmacy as regulated by the Pharmacy Board of Australia (PBA) including vaccinations is covered.
- Run-off cover and retroactive cover for prior events.
We provide run-off cover that protects you even after you retire. Retroactive protection is also included for unknown events prior to becoming a Professional Pharmacists Australia member and there is limited overseas cover for working holidays too.
What is covered?
- Members are covered for the full scope of practice you are registered and qualified to perform as an employee pharmacist (in private and public settings) under AHPRA standards – including administering immunisations, and medicine reviews.
- The policy will not cover dishonest criminal acts or known circumstances of existing claims against members.
Are you eligible?
As a safety net policy there are restrictions on eligibility and coverage. To ensure you are covered you need to:
- Keep your membership fees and your work and contact details up to date.
- Disclose any relevant information and immediately report any circumstances that may lead to a potential claim.
The information provided on this website is appropriate only for persons living within Australia. This website, and the materials and information found on this website, only contain general information about PPA, and we encourage you to read all the relevant policies to ensure PPA membership and insurance coverage is right for your circumstances. New membership options available to new members only. If you would like advice on the appropriateness of this insurance policy for your individual circumstances do not hesitate to contact Professionals Australia Insurance Brokers (AFSL 244436) on 1800 800 998 or firstname.lastname@example.org